“Discoveries is the most exciting and ambitious Campaign in Weill Cornell Medical College's history. With its successful completion, we will double the laboratory research space of the Medical College, secure our position at the forefront of medicine for the next generation and be a leader in transforming health care in this century.”— Sanford I. Weill, Chairman, Board of Overseers
The Discoveries that Make a Difference Campaign, which began in 2006, has raised $1.3 billion to support groundbreaking research initiatives in medical research, education and patient care.
Discoveries builds on Weill Cornell's previous Campaigns — which focused on basic science and patient care — by investing in translational “bench-to-bedside” research to rapidly convert laboratory findings into new treatments and therapies for patients. The cornerstone of the Campaign is the new Belfer Research Building on East 69th Street between York and First Avenue. It will:
- Double our existing research space
- Accelerate research leading to breakthrough treatments and cures for our most tenacious and deadly diseases
- Lead to the recruitment of 30 or more additional researchers
- Build on our research strengths in eight priority health areas: the Brain; Cancer Research; Heart Health; Children’s Health; Diabetes, Metabolic Disorders and Obesity; Global Health and Infectious Diseases; Stem Cell, Developmental Biology, Reproductive and Regenerative Medicine and Scholarships
- Facilitate collaborative research with Cornell University and other partners
Thanks to our donors and the vision and leadership of our Board, administrators, and faculty, Weill Cornell Medical College is building on its world class reputation in research, patient care and medical education to transform health care for all.